Resolutions for 2015 and my Favorite Posts of 2014
Before I delve into 2015, let’s look back at the resolutions I kept (and dropped) in 2014:
- Learn French.
- Take a class in web design and economics.
Find an amazing job in the USA(although it’s not very amazing)
Keep up the habit of going to the gym 3 times a week, aim to run for an hour nonstop (can do 30 mins now, up the score!)
- Take the GRE.
Grow out my hair. It looks good short I must admit, but I do miss having my long black locks.
- Continue to write, and publish an article!
Volunteer! Find an organization in Shanghai or the USA, sign up, and go help others!(volunteered on Thanksgiving and have joined a volunteer Meetup group in my neighborhood).
- Practice J-E interpreting 3 times a week, C-E once a week
Learn how to properly, and effectively, invest money(I purchased my first stocks this year)
Travel somewhere new (have plans of Thailand in March, so this one’s definitely going to happen!)(Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore–you were amazing!)
Alright, Time for 2015 Resolutions:
- Lose 20 pounds–and more importantly, lead a healthier life. I know. It’s a typical resolution, but this year it means even more. I gained a lot of weight since moving back to the United States. I want to blame the unhealthy food, the portion sizes and the lack of physical activity (I used to walk everywhere in Shanghai–now, I drive). But still, I can’t just blame America. I already downloaded MyFitnessPal and I have a plan set in motion. If this doesn’t work, I’ll join weight watchers. Either way, I need to take control of my weight, my health, and my life.
- Learn Italian and Sign up for an Italian Class. I tried to learn French and my god, it just didn’t stick. Since most of my friends are Italian, I’ll take this as a divine sign from heaven and just learn what I love: Italian.
- Publish an Article (or ten). While I did continue to write (as this blog so clearly showcases), I have yet to publish my work. I want 2015 to be that year.
- Update this Blog Once a Week and Really Commit to The Ruby Ronin. I love this blog. It’s my baby. I love the people I meet through this blog, and I love writing. I didn’t start to really invest time in this thing until 2014, and I want to go even further in 2015. I know life gets in the way and sometimes I only update once a month–but that’s just ridiculous. I need to show this blog, and my readers, that I’m serious about this thing.
- Become an Irish Citizen. I know, random. I’ll write a post about how to apply for Irish Citizenship later, but for the time being, I just want to make this happen in 2015.
- Pay Off My Student Loans. After almost ten years of paying my stupid loans, this year will finally be the year where I write my final paycheck to the Federal Government.
- Visit at Least One National Park. Here’s lookin at you, Yosemite.
- Run a 5k. While this isn’t #1 priority, I’d really like to make it happen!
Realizations from 2014 to Push me Forward in 2015
I will forever remember 2014 as the year of great change. I moved back to the United States from my wonderful life in Shanghai and experienced some of the worst reverse culture shock to ever grace an American. It was truly a painful and difficult experience. Even a year later, I cannot say with confidence that I have fully adjusted.